Search & Research: Luke Historian Archives

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Why Study Historical Costume? Analysis by Jennie Chancey


Jennie Chancey gives a fascinating analysis of why the study of historical costume is more than just an enjoyable hobby:

"...The study of clothing isn’t therefore just a frivolous hobby for me or something I do for the sheer fun of it. It is fun, but I take it as seriously as I take the study of any other facet of history or literature. Clothing has told a story from the Garden of Eden onward, and to ignore the story or pretend it doesn’t matter is to become bound up in our own age as the be-all and end-all of civilization–which it most certainly is not. When I study portraits of my foremothers, I see character leap from the canvas. I gain a better understanding of biography, of place, of historical antecedents. It’s why I’m so grateful I have photographs of my ancestors dating back to the 1840s. It’s why I absolutely love the fact that the Proverbs 31 woman is represented as clothed with feminine dignity..."

Click here to read the entire article.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Latest Word...

The following are written works and information gathered and contributed by Luke Historians.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin